Thursday 27 September 2012

Acoustic Guitar Cake



I was so eager when I was asked to make a guitar cake as it's something that I have always wanted to make, although when I found out that it needed to be an acoustic guitar I realised it was going to be a lot more challenging! 

The first thing I had to do was find wire long and straight enough to use as strings, since it just looks messy and unrealistic if you try and use anything else. Once I hunted down some extra long floral wire, I was able to figure out the dimensions of the cake. I carved the chocolate mud cake into the shape of the guitar's body, and then covered it in brown marbled fondant to make it look like wood similar to the original guitar. Finally, the hardest part was making the neck of the guitar and having it elevated from the cake board. It needed quite a bit of structural support but I'm so glad I went to the trouble because it wouldn't have been nearly as good without it done properly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jemma

    Thank you very much for doing this cake. It was awesome. I was massively impressed. It is my favourite guitar and you recreated it beautifully. Even the wood grain. I looked at it for about 5 minutes wondering where to cut it. I didn't even want to cut it. Thank you so much, you put a very special touch on my birthday.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete