Saturday 22 September 2012

Pink Cakes



It's funny the way similar orders come about sometimes, such as the three baby showers in one weekend that I catered for last month (despite never having made any before) or all of the wedding and engagement cakes that will be coming up in the next couple of months. Last weekend all three of my cake orders were for pink cakes, and the first order was for a pink version of this christening cake, which was the first commissioned cake that I had ever made.


I also made a giant cupcake in a way that I had never tried before. I was asked to make it the same way I would a regular cupcake, with buttercream icing instead of fondant. Which lead to the issue of how to make the cupcake 'wrapper' in a way that was neat without using fondant (as it shouldn't be refrigerated). I solved the problem by layering strips of light blue candy melts around the base and tying them with a pink ribbon to make sure they were held securely. I also added small light purple candy balls to look like proportionate sprinkles on the cupcake.


Last but not least I made another ladybug cake, but in a slightly different style. Instead of the large ladybug on top, I was asked to make lots of little lady bugs and have them walking around all over the cake - the finished result was so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment