Wednesday 4 July 2012

Personalised Car Cake



When I was first asked to make a car cake I was a little nervous in saying yes, as I had never made one before and know next to nothing about cars. It was certainly out of my comfort zone, but I figured it would be a fun challenge! 

In order to replicate the car's design using the reference photos I was provided, I first started by assembling a large, three-layered rectangular chocolate cake. Taking it one step at a time, I carved out the shape of the car, then covered it in icing and red fondant. To create the illusion of the car being elevated off the ground, without compromising the structural integrity of the cake, I decided the cover the cake board in dark grey fondant as if it were a road, and then carry on that colour up the first centimetre or so of the base of the car. After that I was free to decorate the car as usual, adding wheels, windows, headlights and stripes, and finishing it all off with gum paste mirrors and licence plates. There were so many little details, but it all contributed to making it look as lifelike as possible.

If you would like a personalised car cake such as this one, prices are $100 for a 26cm long cake, or $150 for a cake 36cm long. Please also include reference photos displaying the front, back, and side of the car so that I can make it as accurate as I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment